EDUCATION AMENDMENTS OF 1972
WHAT IS TITLE IX?
Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity.
UNLAWFUL DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES UNDER TITLE IX
It is unlawful for a recipient of federal funds to discriminate on the basis of sex against students, faculty and staff. Areas of coverage include but are not limited to:
1. Educational programs or activities, e.g., athletics, vocational and vocational rehabilitation programs, recreation, physical education, student treatment and services, academic counseling and guidance, discipline, classroom assignment, grading;
2. Admission and recruitment, e.g., financial aid, housing;
3. Medical services, including counseling.
UNLAWFUL DISCRIMINATORY BEHAVIORS UNDER TITLE IX
SEXUAL HARASSMENT (unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature)
SEXUAL MISCONDUCT (rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sexual exploitation and other forms of non-consensual sexual activity)
STALKING (repeatedly following, harassing, threatening or intimidating including by telephone, mail, electronic communication or social media)
DATING VIOLENCE (including emotional, verbal, and economic abuse without the presence of physical abuse)
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (including emotional, verbal and economic abuse without the presence of physical abuse)
RETALIATION (adverse employment, academic or other actions against anyone reporting or participating in an investigation of Title IX allegations)
TITLE IX APPLIED TO ATHLETICS
1. Requires that male and female athletes receive equal opportunity in sports participation.
2. Requires that female and male athletes receive athletic scholarship dollars proportional to their participation.
3. Requires equal treatment in the provision of (a) equipment and supplies, (b) scheduling of games and practice times, (c) travel and daily allowance, (d) access to tutoring, (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, (g) practice and competitive facilities, (h) medical and training facilities and services, (i)publicity and promotions, (j) recruitment of student athletes, and (k) support services.