UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Serving as the host and No. 1 seed of the 2018 GLIAC Men's Soccer Tournament, the Cardinal Men's Soccer team hosted the No. 4 Northwood University Timberwolves on Friday (Nov. 2) in the tournament's semifinal round. After falling behind by a 2-0 count, a second half goal wasn't enought and SVSU fell by a final count of 2-1 at Braddock Field.
Northwood got on the board first with a header from Chase Clark in the 20th minute of action, giving the visitors a 1-0 edge that would remain until the half.
The Cardinals had six shots in the opening 45 minutes while Northwood had four.
NU added on to that lead just over eight minutes into the second half as Jack Doyle took a loose ball deflected off an SVSU defender and found the back of the net for the 2-0 edge.
The visitors kept the Cardinals out of the net the rest of the way, however, sending SVSU to just their second loss of the 2018 season.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU posted a 17-6 overall edge in shots and had four on goal with NU putting five on net.
- The Cardinals couldn't capitlize on any of their 10 corner kicks they had, holding the Timberwolves to just a single corner as well.
- Liadi had seven shots and three on goal. His score marks his team-leading eighth, which is fourth in the GLIAC.
- Gloshen's helper was his seventh on the year, leading the team and ranking second in the league.
- Lukas Betz (8-2-5) made three saves and allowed the two goals in his 90 minutes between the posts.
Saginaw Valley, likely headed to the NCAA Division II postseason being ranked No. 1 in this week's midwest regional rankings, will have to await the final regional rankings on Monday evening to see where they will play. The selection show will be Monday (Nov. 5) at 6:00 p.m. and be streamed live on www.ncaa.com. Stay tuned for further details.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---