UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Women's Soccer team hosted Purdue Northwest at Braddock field for the GLIAC opening contest. The Caridnals defeated the Pride 5-nil and head to a 1-0 lead in GLIAC play, 5-1-1, while PNW falls to 1-0, 2-6 overall.
Under two minute later into the contest, Amanda Minissale found a toggled around ball infront of the net and led it to the back of the net to go up 2-0. Leading into the halftime break, Saginaw Valley held the Pride to no shots on the goal while the Cardinals recorded eight.
Strobel was at it again at the 58' mark, taking a shot just a few inches from the PNW goalkeeper after a pass from Amy Babon. Her shot trickeld in for her first goal of the contest, putting the Cardinals up 3-0 over the Pride.
At the 68th minute mark, Giambanco notched her second goal of the afternoon after she put one right over the keepers head, going up 4-0 over the Pride.
With under five minutes to go in the contest, Giambanco knocked in her third goal of the afternoon, creating her first hat trick of the seaoson with the help of forward Lindsey Stroebel.
Saginaw Valley defense continued to stay strong for the remainder of the game, earning the teams first conference victory, 5-nil.
Inside the Box Score:
- Vanderhoff led the Cardinals in shots, posting six with three on goal. She also had one assist.
- Babon earned five shots (four on goal) with one assist.
- Giambanco had three-for- three shots on goal, earning her first hat trick of the season.
- Stroebel added two shots on goal, adding her fourth goal of the season.
- Trevino posted six shots, three on goal, with one in the back of the net.
- Cardinals out shot the Pride 33-2 and never allow a solo shot on goal.
Saginaw Valley will conclude their homestand for the month against Wisc. - Parkside at home on Sunday afternoon. Kick-off is slated for noon at Braddock Field.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc | @svsuathletics
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---