HOUGHTON -- The Saginaw Valley State University Men's Basketball team came up with a big bounceback victory on the road at Michigan Tech, defeating the Huskies by a final score of 75-54 at the SDC Gymnasium in Houghton.
Tech's only lead of the contest came when the score was 2-0 just a minute into play. From there on, Saginaw Valley held command of the action.
The first double-digit lead for SV came with 13:13 showing in the first when James Toohey hit a three-pointer to put the score at 19-9. SVSU continued to hold the edge from there, entering the halftime break with a 14-point lead of 43-29.
Saginaw Valley continued the stellar play in the second half, posting a 32-25 scoring advantage to round-out play. The visitors led by as many as 21 points with 8:29 left to play when a Fred John Jr. free throw made the score 63-42. The Cardinals finished the dominant performance from there and won 75-54.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu was named Meijer "Player of The Game" with 30 points, five rebounds and two assists and two steals during his 36 minutes of action. He shot 5-8 downtown and 5-6 from the free throw line. It is his second 30-point performance of the season.
- Hoskins turned in a great effort as well, scoring 21 points while adding three helpers.
- Sebastiano Lamonato added seven points and seven boards in the victory.
- Avery Lewis had nine points and matched Lamonato's team-high with seven boards.
- SVSU hit at a 50.0% clip from the floor while the Huskies shot 36.4%.
- The Cardinals had a 38-27 lead on the glass and 26-12 advantage in the paint.
SVSU returns home on Thursday (Feb. 14) for an 8:00 p.m. game versus Grand Valley State University at the James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---