EAST LANSING -- The Cardinal Outdoor Track & Field teams competed in the 2019 Auto Owners Insurance Spartan Invitational this weekend, an event hosted by Michigan State University. There were some great performances for the Cardinals, including several NCAA Division II Provisional qualifying marks in the event.
- Ryan Kelly had a pair of provisional marks for the Cardinals, finishing 3rd in the shot put with a distance of 16.82 meters while notching a 6th place showing in the discus with a mark of 50.48 meters. The discus figure is a new best throw for Kelly.
- The 4 x 100 relay team, consisting of Casey Williams, Travon Phillips, Keith Rodriguez and Carter Eckhardt, finished in 2nd place with a time of 42.35 seconds.
- Rodriguez added a 2nd place finish in the 400 meter run, turning in a time of 49.67 seconds. That is his top time in the race for his SVSU career.
- Brandon Keys finished 5th in the long jump with his distance of 6.68 meters, achieving a new best mark for him in the event. He added a 6th place showing in the triple jump with a distance of 12.78 meters.
- In the high jump, Jacob Netschke was 4th, clearing the bar at a height of 2.01 meters. That is a new best mark for Jacob as well.
- Cordell Richardson finished 8th in the 400 hurdles finals with his mark of 56.25 seconds, which is a new top mark for him in that race.
- Brendan Nesbitt was the team's top finisher in the 1,500 meter run, posting a time of 3:57.83 in the event and a 3rd place finish for the Cardinals.
- Lauren Huebner won the 400 meter hurdles race, finishing with a provisional time of 59.66 seconds.
- Huebner, Andriana Higgins, Alona Olshevska and Maegan Noble competed in the 4 x 100 meter relay and finished 3rd with a time of 46.88 seconds. That is just 0.01 seconds off the program record.
- Higgins registered a 3rd place finish in the 200 meter run, turning in a time of 24.83 seconds. That's a best mark for Higgins in a Cardinal uniform. Olshevska was 6th as well in the race, finishing with a mark of 25.69 seconds for a personal best.
- Sydney Kreger was 7th in the 1,5000 meter run, crossing the line with a time of 4:44.64 for a new best mark in the event.
- In the javelin, Huebner wsa 6th and Emily Droski 7th with marks of 32.18 and 31.89 meters, respectively. Droski's distance proved to be a new best throw for her.
The teams are back at it this upcoming weekend, traveling to compete in the Golden Grizzlies Invitational at Oakland University. The two-day event will begin on Friday (Apr. 12).
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---