UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University track & field teams rounded-out competition on the second day of the Jet's Pizza Invitational, hosted by the Cardinals at the SVSU Fieldhouse. SVSU built upon Friday's performances and kept up the pace on Saturday with many other top performances in the SVSU-hosted meet.
Inside the Meet
- Tom Goforth was one of two Cardinals who posted a provisional mark in the 3,000 meter run, as he finished second with a time of 8:12.85. That time broke a 33 year-old school record by almost two seconds (8:14.64). It currently ranks as the eighth-best mark in the nation and second-best in the GLIAC.
- Teammate Eddie Komph also notched a provisional mark in the same 3,000 meter run with a time of 8:16.32, which is a new personal best for him in the race. He ranks third in the league and 12th in the country with the time.
- Joey Southgate also registered a PR in the same race, clocking-in with an 8:29.19 for the Cardinals.
- Dalton Hollandsworth had a personal best time in the 400 meters, ending with a mark of 49.87 seconds for a sixth place finish. Carter Eckhardt's time of 50.01 and seventh place finish is also a best for him.
- Travon Phillips, after advancing to the finals of the 60 meter dash on Friday with a time of 6.99 seconds, claimed the title in the finals with a time of 6.98. It's a PR for him in the race.
- Landon Lyons also qualified for the same finals race in the 60, improving from seventh to fifth after posting a time of 7.16 seconds in the finals.
- In the 200 meter finals, Phillips shredded 55 seconds off his Friday time of 22.61 to finish fourth with a mark of 22.06. Teammates Juan Bowers 22.16 and Lyons 22.97 finished fifth and seventh in the same race, respectively. Phillips's time is a PR in the race as well.
- Nick Plude's 1:57.16 time in the 800 meters was a PR for him as well, good enought for a seventh place finish.
- Rob Roest's mile time of 4:21.18 was a best for him as well, as he finished in seventh.
- The men's 4 x 400 meter relay team finished in second, posting a time of 3:20.70 with Eckhardt, Hollandsworth, Bowers and Keith Rodriguez teaming-up for the effort.
- Sam Black won first in the high jump, posting a height of 1.98 meters.
- Brady Watson finished fifth in the triple jump, leaping to a distance of 12.82 meters. He added a fifth place showing in the high jump as well, clearing the bar with a height of 1.93 meters.
- Ryan Kelly was fifth as well, tossing the shot put 15.02 meters in the event.
- Domonique Smith advanced to Saturday's finals in the 60 meter dash with a third place showing. She was third in the finals as well, clocking-in at a time of 7.98 seconds.
- Ce'Aira Richardson added another provisional mark for the Cardinals, as she finished second in the 400 meter run with a time of 56.22. That time currently ranks eighth in the nation and second in the GLIAC.
- Morgan Fuerst and Alicia Tomlin finished eighth and ninth in the 800 meter run, posting times of 2:17.25 and 2:18.42, respectively. Tomlin's time is a new PR for her.
- Allison Dorr places sixth in the 3,00 meter run, crossing the line with a time of 10:18.48. That is a new best time for her in the indoor event as well.
- Anna Fochesato had a pair of top finishes as well, placing second in the triple jump with a distance of 11.00 meters and fourth in the high jump with a height of 1.58 meters.
Saginaw Valley returns to the oval on Saturday (Feb. 4) with a dual meet against Northwood University. The meet is set to begin at 10:00 a.m. against the Timberwolves and is being hosted at the SVSU Fieldhouse.
@svtfxc | #svsutrack | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU