Men: 161-135 (Win)
Women: 163-137 (Loss)
FINDLAY, Ohio -- The Saginaw Valley State University Swimming & Diving programs traveled to compete at the University of Findlay on Saturday (Oct. 28) afternoon. The teams split in action against the Oilers, with the men posting a 161-135 victory and the women falling by a score of 163-137.
- In the 50 free, Kyle Amick took 2nd with a time of 22.25 seconds. He added a runner-up showing in the 100 free as well with a mark of 48.46 seconds.
- Peter Lin and Mason Hooker took 2nd and 3rd in the 200 free, posting times of 1:44.24 and 1:50.32, respectively.
- In the 1,000 free, Jayden Hutchinson grabbed 1st place with his mark of 9:56.39. He won by over 17 seconds in the race. He added a 1st place finish in the 200 fly with a time of 1:58.15.
- Dalton Pokley took 1st in the 100 back, registering a time of 53.85 seconds.
- In the 200 back, Connor Henning had the top finish for the Cardinals with his 2nd place time of 2:02.09.
- Shaun Yap had a pair of top showings in the breast, finishing 1st in both the 100 and 200 with times of 57:00 and 2:08.36, respectively. He added another 1st in the 200 IM with a time of 1:56.93.
- Dylan Kopacki took 3rd for SV in the 100 fly, posting a mark of 52.77 seconds.
- Justin Ott took the top spots in the 1 and 3 meter diving events, claiming totals of 262.05 and 261.95, respectively.
- In the 400 free relay, SVSU took 2nd with a time of 3:12.46. That team consisted of Pokley, Hutchinson, Lin and Amick.
- The team of Pokley, Yap, Kopacki and Lin was 1st in the 400 medley relay with their time of 3:29.14.
- Melanie Soenksen took 1st in the 50 free with her time of 24.37 seconds. She added a 2nd place showing in the 100 free, touching the board with a mark of 54:05 seconds.
- In the 200 free, Taylor Grashuis was the top finisher in 3rd with her time of 1:59.96.
- Alexandra Davis took 2nd in the 500 free, finishing with a time of 5:16.74 in the race.
- Amanda Thielen finished 1st in the 100 back, claiming a mark of 58.87 seconds for the win. She was 2nd in the 200 back with her time of 2:10.17.
- Lydia Mattar took 1st in the 200 breast with a time of 2:22.61, adding a runner-up showing in the 100 breast with her time of 1:06.53. She registered a 2nd place showing in the 200 IM as well with a time of 2:14.57.
- Kimble Darbee was right behind Mattar in the 200 IM with her time of 2:18.50.
- Rebeca Martinez was 2nd in the 100 fly with her time of 1:00.29 but claimed victory in the 200 fly with a mark of 2:11.73.
- Wilhelmina Francisco notched a couple NCAA Dive-in Meet qualifying totals in the diving events. She had 256.50 points in the 1 meter event and a mark of 269.30 points in the 3 meter event.
- The 400 free relay team of Grashuis, Martinez, Davis and Soenksen was 2nd with their time of 3:41.61.
- The 400 medley relay team of Thielen, Martinez, Mattar and Soenksen also finished 2nd with their mark of 3:57.72.
From Head Coach Bruce Zimmerman
"The meet against Findlay was a very competitive meet. Great win for the men and a tough loss for the ladies. There were many tough, close races throughout the meet. Some went in our favor and others went in Findlay's favor. We had some improvement in some areas and saw some things that we need to improve on as we move forward with the season. The highlight was Wilh Francisco qualifying for the NCAA Championships Dive-in Meet in both the 1 Meter and 3 Meter diving events."
The teams pick up action on Sunday (Nov. 5), as they host strong GLIAC opponent in Northern Michigan University. Action begins at 11:00 a.m. at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---