BAY CITY, Mich. - The SVSU swimming & diving programs hosted the fourth and final day of competition for the 2017 GLIAC Championships, held at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. Both teams finished in fourth place overall for the championships, with the women totaling 438 points and the men 354 points.
- Alexandra Davis competed for the Cardinals in the Women's 1650 Free race. She landed in 11th place with a time of 17:51.58 in the first heat of the event.
- Melanie Soenksen qualified for the 100 Free 'A' Finals after finishing in 6th place with her 52.29 prelim time. She would compete in the Final, racing to a 4th place finish with a time of 51.42.
- Amanda Thielen and Rebeca Martinez swam in the 'A' Finals for SVSU in the 200 Back, posting times of 2:00.72 and 2:02.15, respectively. The duo would place 5th and 6th in the final.
- Sarah Luciani also represented SVSU in the 200 Back, qualifying for the 'B' Final with her time of 2:07.68. She would finish 6th in that final, posting a time of 2:06.96.
- Lydia Mattar ended the 200 Breast prelim with the top time of 2:16.85. She would compete later in the 'A' Final and remained in the top spot after the final, grabbing SVSU its first-ever GLIAC title. She made history with her time of 2:15.09.
- Wilhemina Francisco finished the preliminaries of 3 meter diving sitting in 2nd place with a score of 392.10. In the same event, Erica Wysocki earned a score of 314.95. Francisco would finish 6th overall with a score of 374.25 to score for the Cards.
- The 400 freestyle relay team finished 3rd in the final event, as Martinez, Davis, Alexa Bloom and Soenksen posted a time of 3:29.18.
- Jayden Hutchinson and Peter Lin scored points for the Cardinals in the Men's 1650 Free. Hutchinson had the fourth fastest time in the event, finishing in 16:05.99 while Peter Lin placed 12th in the event. He had a time of 16:34.47.
- Tanner Peltier and Michael Spears both represented SVSU by qualifying in the 'B' Final of the 100 Free. Peltier finished in sixth in his final with a time of 46.77. Spears would come in seventh after finishing the race in 47.90.
- Connor Henning, Dalton Pokley, and Nick Berens all competed for SVSU in the 200 Back 'B' Final. Henning emerged as the top Cardinal, placing 4th in his heat with a time of 1:54.94. Pokley and Berens finished in 6th and 7th place, respectively.
- Shaun Yap swam in the 'A' Final of the 200 Breast, qualifying in 4th place with a top time of 2:03.12. He would finish in 4th place in the final for the Cardinals with a time of 2:00.55.
- Shijie Ng and Tyler Miller both competed in the 'B' Final of the 200 Breast as well. Ng would finish in 5th place at a time of 2:07.08 while Miller was 7th with a time of 2:07.17.
- The men's 400 freestyle relay team finished 5th, as their time of 3:05.71 was achieved by Yap, Hutchinson, Spears and Peltier.
Saginaw Valley will host a last chance qualifier on Saturday, Feb. 18. Athletes will have a chance to qualify for the 2017 NCAA Division II Championships, which are set to take place March 7-10 in Birmingham, Alabama.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU