HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. - The SVSU softball team bounced back from a pair of Friday defeats to post a sweep on Saturday in the Music City Invitational, hosted by Trevecca Nazarene. The Cardinals defeated McKendree by an 8-5 score in Saturday's opener before claiming a walk-off 9-0 win over Bellarmine in five innings.
Game One - McKendree
The Bearcats grabbed a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second, but that was quickly turned into a 4-2 SV lead in the top of the third as Aubree Mouthaan hit a three-run home run, scoring Meredith Rousse and Evy Lobdell. The first career long ball for Courtney Reeves, a solo shot, would follow in the inning for the two-run Cardinal lead.
After one McKendree run in the third, the Cards added another pair in the 4th for a 6-3 edge. Those runs came after a Madison Burgess squeeze that scored Becky Corbett and a Rousse RBI single to plate Danielle Hamilton.
McKendree made the count 6-5 with two runs of its own in the bottom of the 4th, but the Cardinals responded with another pair in the 6th. Rousse got into the squeeze action, laying down a nice one to score Hamilton. Mouthaan then ripped an RBI double to push Burgess across the plate for the game's final run. The final would stand at 8-5 with SVSU winning.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mouthaan went 3-for-4 with four RBIs and a run scored in the victory.
- Reeves and Burgess each had two hits with an RBI and run scored, while Burgess added a walk.
- Rousse was 1-for-1 with two RBIs and a pair of walks, adding the sacrifice on the squeeze.
- Anna Conard (1-0) picked up the victory in the circle, working 4.0 innings of relief while allowing a single hit, no runs and striking-out three batters.
Game Two - Bellarmine
Saturday's second game saw the Cardinals remain solid at the plate while senior pitcher Annie Hansen was great in the circle. Saginaw Valley pounded-out 12 hits against the Knights while Hansen tossed a no-hitter against the regional opponents.
SV plated two runs in the home half of the first and another three in the second inning. Burgess had an RBI double to score Hamilton in the first and Rousse added an RBI single to push Burgess across. In the second, Evy Lobdell had a two-RBI double to score Hamilton and Lauren Bachert and Rousse had another RBI single, this one scoring Lobdell.
The Cardinals added four runs in the bottom of the 5th to put the game away 9-0 by mercy. Conard had a pinch hit RBI single to knock-in Rousse. Bachert then stepped to the plate with Corbett and Julia Miller on base. She connected for a three-run home run, ending the game at the 9-0 point and sealing the Cardinal sweep. It was the first long ball of the season and second of her career.
Inside the Boxscore
- Rousse went 3-for-3 with a run and two RBIs.
- Bachert had two hits with three RBIs and two runs scored.
- Burgess added two hits with an RBI and run scored.
- Conard had a hit and RBI.
- Lobdell had two RBIs on a double, adding a run.
- Hansen (1-1) worked all 5.0 innings of no-hit ball, walking three and posting one strikeout.
Saginaw Valley (2-2) wraps up play on Sunday with an 11:00 a.m. contest against Montevallo in Tennessee.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU