UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Men's Soccer team got a pair of goals from junior forward Azaad Liadi and a strong defensive performance in the second half to secure a 2-1 overtime victory over Ashland at Braddock Field.
The Eagles took a 1-0 lead just under seven minutes into the match on a goal from Justin Libertowski and carried that count into halftime.
Ashland had three first half shots to Saginaw Valley's 13 in the opening 45 minutes of play.
Just as Ashland struck quickly in the first half, the Cardinals would get on the board at the 49:12 marker of the contest when Liadi took a tap pass from Alex Gloshen, dribbled around the Eagle defenders and found the back of the net to knot the score at 1-1.
Despite another couple solid scoring opportunities for SV the rest of the way, regulation time expired and the match went to bonus soccer after 90 full minutes.
Another quick strike would come, however, as Liadi used a pass from Ryan Pierson and beat the Eagle goalkeeper on the left side of the net just 2:07 into overtime, sealing the team's sixth victory of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Liadi had 10 shots to lead SVSU and put four of those on goal. His two goals give him four on the season to lead the team.
- Alex Gloshen had five shots (1 on goal) and Liam Travers added four with a pair on goal for the Cards.
- Gloshen's helper was his second of the season while Pierson collected his second assist as well.
- Lukas Betz improves to 5-1-2 in net after working 92:07 in between the posts for the Cardinals.
- Saginaw Valley had a 27-5 overall edge in total shots.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff...
"Incredibly proud of the team for pulling out this win in OT. Our team has shown so much character in a number of games this year and, with some consistency, can have a special season. Ashland was always going to be a very hard game especially after coming off a good win versus Northwood, so to come from a goal down and win shows what character, belief and passion this group has."
The Cardinals have another pair of GLIAC matches this upcoming weekend to round-out the home portion of the 2018 season. SVSU hosts Davenport Friday (Oct. 5) at 2:30 p.m. before facing Purdue Northwest Sunday in another 2:30 p.m. matchup.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---