UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team, ranked 24th nationally in the latest national poll, posted a solid 1-0 regional shutout over Tiffin University on Sunday (Sep. 9) afternoon at Braddock Field.
Saginaw Valley got a long goal off a penalty kick, as Michael Hamilton capitalized on a the opportunity at the 47:10 point of the contest early on in the second half.
The first half was scoreless throughout, with most of the game being played on the SVSU offensive end. The Cards posted seven shots and held the Dragons to just a pair in the opening 45 minutes.
The penalty shot opportunity came off a yellow card on a Tiffin player in the box, setting Hamilton up. He drilled one past the Dragon goalkeeper on the left side of net, making the score 1-0 just 2:10 into the second frame.
A red card came 22 seonds later on the TU goalkeeper, forcing the Dragons to play a man down the rest of the way.
SVSU was able to keep the defensive pressure on from there, closing-out for its third shutout of the season and second straight.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hamilton's goal marks his second of the 2018 season.
- Saginaw Valley finished with 18 shots and allowed just five total. The Cards had four shots on goal and the Dragons had two.
- Michael Shaikly and Azaad Liadi had five shots-apiece, with Liadi putting two on goal and hitting the post on another.
- Alberto Teatin had two shots with one on goal.
- Lukas Betz (1-0-1) claimed his first victory of the season and second shutout, working all 90 minutes in goal. He made two saves in the victory.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff...
The Cardinals remain home at Braddock Field on Friday (Sep. 14), hosting Parkside in a 2:30 p.m. matchup. The men follow the women's match earlier at noon, with the Lady Cardinals facing Ferris State University. Full details will be available at www.svsucardinals.com.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @svsuathletics | #GoCards
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---