Score: Davenport 1, #24 Saginaw Valley 0
Records: DU (12-6-1) | SVSU (13-4-1)
Location: Dean Field
MIDLAND -- A bid for its first GLIAC Tournament Championship since 2012 fell short on Sunday (Nov. 5) afternoon for the SVSU Men's Soccer team, as the Cardinals dropped a close 1-0 contest to Davenport University at Northwood's Dean Field.
Despite holding a 15-6 overall edge in shots and putting six on goal in the contest, the Cardinals could not capitalize on the good looks throughout regulation.
Davenport got a goal in the 43rd minute to take the 1-0 lead, which is where the score stood heading into the half.
The second half saw the Cards have more solid opportunities, including a pair late in the 76th minute when Chris Jacovou put a pair of shots on net. Both would be stopped, however, to keep the Panthers in the lead.
The Davenport defense held SVSU scoreless throughout, sealing the tournament title in its first season in the league.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had a 15-6 shot edge and 6-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Cards posted a slight 3-2 edge in corner kicks.
- Jacovou had a team-high five shots, putting two of them on net.
- Matt Wilson had four shots with two on goal.
- Michael Hamilton, Dom Hart and Michael Shaikly were all named to the 2017 GLIAC All-Tournament Team following play on Sunday.
Having already sealed a bid to the 2017 NCAA Division II Tournament, the team will find out where they will travel to for their first round matchup. The pre-tournament selection show will air Monday evening online only. Stay tuned to www.svsucardinals.com and @SVSUAthletics on twitter for updates regarding the show.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---