Score: No. 19 Saginaw Valley 3, Quincy 1
Records: SVSU (1-0) | QU (0-1)
Location: Legends Stadium - Quincy, Ill.
QUINCY, Ill. - Hitting the road for the first of two non-conference regional contests to begin the 2017 season, the SVSU Men's Soccer team played at Quincy University on Friday (Sep. 1) evening. The 19th-ranked Cardinals got a pair of first half goals, adding another in the second frame to close-out for a 3-1 win over their regional opponent from the GLVC.
Michael Shaikly got the visitors on the board first in the game, using a Michael Hamilton feed to find the back of the net for his first goal in an SVSU uniform. The tally gave the Cardinals the 1-0 lead at the 22' marker.
In the 44th minute, Matt Wilson added another goal for Saginaw Valley, pushing the lead to 2-0 with the late first period goal off of a free kick. That's where the score remained heading into the break.
The second frame went scoreless until the 69' mark, when Chris Jacovou made good on a penalty kick for a goal and a 3-0 SVSU lead.
The Hawks responded quickly, however, using an Aubrey Reis goal at the 71' marker to cut the deficit to 3-1.
That would do it for the match's scoring, with Saginaw Valley prevailing for the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Shaikly's goal in the first half was his first as a member of the squad. He posted a team-best five shots, putting two of those on goal.
- Hamilton's assist was his first helper at SVSU. He added two shots on goal as well.
- Wilson picked up where he left off in 2016, not waiting long for his first goal of the season.
- Jacovou's goal also marked his first for the Cardinals.
- Friday's victory over the Hawks marks the fourth straight season-opening win for the Cardinals.
- Connor Keane (1-0) registered the victory between the posts for SVSU. He faced four shots on goal, registering three saves and allowing a single goal in his 90 minutes.
- Saginaw Valley out-shot Quincy by a 14-6 margin with an 8-4 edge in shots on goal.
From Head Coach Andy Wagstaff
Saginaw Valley continues play at the Quincy Alumni invitational Cup against Truman State on Sunday (Sep. 3). First kick is set for noon central time. The Bulldogs fell to No. 17 Lindenwood on Friday afternoon.
@SVSUsoccer | #svsumsoc | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---