UNIVERSITY CENTER -- After holding a 37-36 halftime lead in Thursday night's home contest over the Grand Valley State University Lakers, the Cardinal Men's Basketball team couldn't hold on and would end up falling by an 81-64 final score after a 45-point second half by the visitors.
GVSU improves to 13-11 overall and 7-9 in the GLIAC while the Cardinals are now 8-16 and 4-12 in league action.
After leading for much of the first part of the opening half, Saginaw Valley claimed a lead and worked its way out to as much as a seven-point advantage with 4:58 showing on the clock after Myles Belyeu hit a three-pointer for the home team.
The Lakers worked their way back, however, and trailed by just one with the Cards leading 37-36 at the break.
Grand Valley regained the lead quickly at 38-37 to begin the second half and would lead wire-to-wire throughout the contest despite Saginaw Valley getting to within a single point at 57-56 as 11:19 remained when Darnell Hoskins Jr. made a triple.
The visitors distanced themselves after that, building on that lead and eventually closing-out with a 45-27 edge in the second half to post an 81-64 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu had another impressive game for the home squad, going for 21 points with a game-high eight rebounds and two assists. He was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Hoskins was solid once again as well, adding 18 points with six assists and four boards and a block.
- Both Belyeu and Hoskins played all 40 minutes for Saginaw Valley.
- Fred John Jr. netted 10 points with three helpers and two boards.
- James Toohey added seven rebounds.
- The rebounding advantage went to the Lakers, 36-32.
- GVSU had just three turnovers to SVSU's 13.
- Points in the paint was owned by the Lakers as well, 40-14.
Saginaw Valley hosts Davenport University on Saturday (Feb. 16) in a 3:00 p.m. contest. The Panthers currently lead the GLIAC standings and are coming off a 68-60 home victory over Northwood on Thursday night. Join us at O'Neill Arena for the game.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---