FINDLAY, Ohio -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team traveled to play at No. 23 Findlay in a tough regional matchup on Saturday (Nov. 17) afternoon. Despite trailing by four at the halftime break (36-32), the Oilers used a strong second half to distance the score and secure a 79-66 victory over the Cards.
Saginaw Valley falls to 1-3 overall on the young season while Findlay improves to 3-0 overall.
The Cards got a game-high 23 points from Myles Belyeu, with 12 of those coming in the first half.
SVSU worked its way out to as much as a seven point lead in the contest. That came at the 9:48 marker in the opening half when Sebastiano Lamonato made a layup to make the score 21-14 in the Cardinals' favor.
The Oilers regained the lead with just over five minutes left in the half at 28-27 and took a 36-32 lead into the halftime break.
Findlay's lead grew to 11 points at 55-44 with 11:56 showing on the clock. They would continue to hold that edge and post the 13-point victory, 79-66.
Inside the Boxscore
- Belyeu was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" after his game-high 23 points. He added four rebounds, a pair of blocks and a steal.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. was the only other Cardinal in double figures. He had 10 points with five assists, four boards and a steal.
- Sebastiano Lamonato grabbed a team-best 10 boards and added nine points.
- Saginaw Valley shot 42.1% from the floor while the Oilers hit at a 46.9% clip.
- Findlay had a 44-32 edge in the paint and 41-37 lead in rebounding.
- The Cardinals held a 21-17 lead in bench points.
- Avery Lewis continued his stellar work on the glass, grabbing seven rebounds with four points.
The Cardinals continue on the road in regional competition Sunday. Nov. 25 at Hillsdale College. Tip-off is set for 3:00 p.m.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---