UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Hosting the top-ranked team in the country in the Bellarmine University Knights, the Cardinal Men's Basketball team had a tough regional opponent for the 2018-19 season opener. Despite a strong second half effort, Saginaw Valley fell by a 73-62 score to the Knights at O'Neill Arena.
The Knights got off to a hot start in the contest, rushing out to a 13-0 lead and leading 20-6 just under the 15-minute mark. Bellarmine continued on in the opening half and carried a commanding 20-point lead into the half, 46-26.
Saginaw Valley had a solid second half, however, outscoring the Knights 36-27 in the frame. The Cards got the deficit back to single digits with 2:31 left to play after Lachlan Anthony connected on a three-pointer to bring the score to 67-56 in Bellarmine's favor.
After the Knights pushed the lead back out, the Cards got a layup from Elijah Pughsley to make the score 71-62 with only 24 seconds remaining. BU was able to close it out from there, leaving the game with an 11-point victory, 73-62.
Inside the Boxscore
- Freshman guard Myles Belyeu finished as the only SVSU player in double figures, scoring 19 points in his first career game. He added three rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block while earning Meijer "Player of the Game" plaudits.
- James Toohey added nine points while Anthony had seven with six boards.
- CJ Wilson also had seven points in his first game as a Cardinals.
- Sebastiano Lamonato led on the boards with a game-best nine rebounds.
- Pughsley had eight points, three assists and two board in his first game at SV.
- Bellarmine shot 48.8% from the floor while SVSU was 39.3%.
- Both teams had 30 boards and BU had a slim 30-26 edge in the paint.
The team closes-out action for the 2018 GLIAC / GLVC Challenge on Saturday when the Cardinals host the University of Indianapolis Greyhounds. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena. The Hounds defeated Northwood by a score of 71-59 Friday afternoon at SVSU.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---