BAY CITY -- The 2017 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Football postseason awards have been announced after voting conducted by the league's coaches. Saginaw Valley State University had one All-GLIAC First Teamer, five All-GLIAC Second Team honorees and six individuals named to the All-GLIAC Honorable Mention Team. Chad Gailliard, the team's lone first team honoree, was voted as the league's Freshman of the Year as well after leading the league in receiving.
SVSU redshirt freshman Chad Gailliard led the GLIAC with his 84.9 receiving yards per game in his first season for the Cardinals. He reeled-in 42 catches for a league-leading 934 yards and eight touchdowns. He averaged 22.2 yards per receptions as well, which also led the league. Gailliard had over 100 yards receiving in four games, including 229 yards in the team's victory at NMU on Oct. 21. That marked the most yards by any GLIAC receiver in the 2017 campaign.
2017 All-GLIAC First Team
Chad Gailliard | RFr | WR | Dearborn, Mich. / Edsel Ford HS
- Led the GLIAC in receiving yards (934), yards per game (84.9) and yards per catch (22.2)...first-ever GLIAC Freshman of the Year for Saginaw Valley...led the team with eight TD receptions...had 1,078 all-purpose yards.
2017 All-GLIAC Second Team
Tommy Scott Jr. | So | RB | Muskegon, Mich. / Catholic Central HS
- Team-high 948 rushing yards on 189 carries...had five rushing touchdowns...ranked 4th with his 948 yards and 5th in the GLIAC with 94.8 yards per game...had over 100 yards rushing five times, including a career-high 159 in the team's game at Northwood on Nov. 4...had team-best 1,117 all-purpose yards...named Week 1 GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week.
Christian Porter | Sr | OL | Huber Heights, Ohio / Wayne HS
- Led the Cardinals up front in being ranked 4th in the league with 367.7 yards per game of total offense and 3rd in the GLIAC with 2,339 yards passing.
Ryan Verhelst | Jr | CB | Holland, Mich. / West Ottawa HS
- Led the GLIAC with five interceptions, adding seven pass breakups in 2017...added 35 tackles from the cornerback position. Named Week 9 GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week.
Michael Alexander | Jr | LB | Midland, Mich.
- Led the Cardinals with 94 total tackles and 9.5 tackles per game, ranking 4th and 5th in the GLIAC, respectively...posted a career-high 17 stops in the team's 14-9 win over Tiffin on Oct. 28.
Bryan Jones | Sr | LB | Schoolcraft, Mich.
- Ranked 2nd on the team with 83 tackles and 7.5 tackles per game...finished career with 403 tackles, ranking 3rd all-time at Saginaw Valley...third straight All-GLIAC Second Team honor.
2017 All-GLIAC Honorable Mention
Ryan Conklin | So | QB | Jackson, Mich. / Parma Western HS
- Ranked 3rd in the GLIAC with 211.7 yards per game...was 3rd with his 16 passing touchdowns and 2nd in total yards (2,329).
Jack Jennings | SR | DE | Paw Paw, Mich.
- Ranked 3rd in the GLIAC with his team-high eight sacks...had 30 tackles and 10.5 TFL...added three pass break-ups and a forced fumble.
Zack Hadorn | Sr | DE | Oxford, Mich.
- Totaled 38 tackles for the Cardinals, including 1.5 sackes and 8 TFL...blocked one kick in 2017.
Tyler Marcus | Sr | P | South Lyon, Mich.
- Averaged 40.2 yards per punt in his 59 tries in 2017...pinned opponents inside the 20 15 times...
Justin Whitted | So | LB | Farmington Hills, Mich. / Harrison HS
- Posted 62 tackles, ranking him 4th on the team...Had four TFL and 0.5 sacks...forced one fumble and had two pass break-ups.
Trevor Curle | So | OL | Macomb, Mich. / Utica Eisenhower HS
- Helped lead the Cardinals up front in being ranked 4th in the league with 367.7 yards per game of total offense and 3rd in the GLIAC with 2,339 yards passing.
@svsu_football | #svsufb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---