Tiffin, Ohio — The SVSU Baseball team opened conference play Friday (Mar. 23) afternoon with a victory over the Dragons. With the 17-3 victory over Tiffin, the Cardinals go up 1-0 in the series and in conference play.
- To get things rolling, Quincy Jones had a solo homer to right center in the top of the second to go up 1-0 over the Dragons.
- Collin Winters was walked, earning a solo RBI scoring Adam Fitzgibbon to go up 2-0 in the top of the fourth.
- Cole Brooks reached on a fielder's choice, RBI, bringing Jordan Swiss a crossed the plate. Cardinals head to a 3-0 lead over Tiffin.
- Todd Paperd advanced to second on a wild pitch which went on to score Mason Schwellenbach. SVSU led 4-0 at the completion of the fourth inning.
- To finish off the fourth, Dean Marais went on to have a two run single to right field, scoring Paperd and Brooks to go up 6-0 over TU.
- Cardinals and Dragons remained quiet until Mason Schwellenbach doubled down the right field line, plating Derrek Clyde.
- Jones came back up to the plate and earned an RBI single, scoring Schwellenbach to push the lead to 8-0.
- Fitzgibbon then singled to right field advanced to second on the throw, in the top of the eighth, earning 2 RBI and went up 10-0.
- Swiss had an RBI single to the left side, bringing Clyde home lead 11-0 in the top of the eighth.
- With bases loaded in the eighth, Mason Schwellenbach then earned another RBI single for the Cardinals, scoring Fitzgibbon.
- Brooks added another RBI single for SVSU to go up 13-0.
- Paperd singled to right field in the eighth, scoring Schwellenbach to lead 14-0.
- Marais was hit by pitch, plating Jones. Clyde then singled to right field scoring Brooks to go up 16-0 over the Dragons.
- Fitzgibbon finished off the eighth inning by reaching first on an error by pitcher; Paperd scored to end the scoring for the contest at 17 runs for the Cardinals.
- Tiffin added three unearned runs total in the eigth and ninth to notch the final count of 17-3.
Inside the Box Score:
- Jones went 3-5 with a solo homer, a double and two RBI.
- Schwellenbach added three hits in six trips with a double and two RBI and three runs scored.
- Marais notched one hit and one walk in his three trips to the plate with three RBI.
- Paperd was 3-4 with three runs scored.
- Swiss was 2-5 with an RBI.
- Brooks and Swiss stole two bases each.
- Clyde, Schwellenbach and and Jones, all had two double plays, as well.
- Saginaw Valley State posted 17 runs off of 18 hits.
- Amani Godfrey (3-0) had an impeccable outing for the Cardinals, working eight innings, striking out three with no earned runs.
- Alec Justin pitched the final inning, striking out one and walking one.
The Cardinals go up 1-0 in the series and will continue play Saturday (Mar. 24) afternoon with a doubleheader. First pitch is set for at 1 p.m. at Tiffin University.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---